Catching the Holiday Spirit in New Orleans

With every visit to my beloved New Orleans the meaning of the nickname “The Big Easy” becomes more and more apparent. It’s not at all because life is “easy”there. Like most big cities, NOLA has it’s fair share of troubles. To me, the reason that NOLA is called the Big Easy is because it’s easy to…

  1. the charming architecture of NOLA’s historic neighborhoods and buildings.
Autumn Aquarius New Orleans Christmas-46.jpg
Doorway in the Marigny

Autumn Aquarius New Orleans Christmas-52

Autumn Aquarius New Orleans Christmas-53.jpg

Autumn Aquarius New Orleans holidays-15

2. …love the friendliness of the people. It’s great to walk down the streets and get a smile , nod, or an enthusiastic “Hi, how are ya?” from neighbors. In my hometown, it’s about a 75% chance that you will get a hello back when you smile at someone (not bad), 25% chance that you will get a weirded out stare. In NOLA I got about a 98.9% return on a smile and wave. It’s a good way to brighten up your day!

3. …love the many flavors of NOLA’s exotic cuisine. There are so many great places to eat! I’m going to have to do another post on the delicious new places we tried on this last trip, but you can check out some old favorites here.

Autumn Aquarius New Orleans Christmas-26.jpg
Char-grilled Oysters from Acme will always be a staple!
Autumn Aquarius New Orleans holidays.jpg

4.  …to find amazing music. It’s everywhere. The musicians in New Orleans are amongst the greatest in the world, and the sounds emanating from every street corner or club are intoxicating!

Autumn Aquarius New Orleans Christmas-5

Autumn Aquarius New Orleans Christmas-7

Autumn Aquarius New Orleans Christmas-3Autumn Aquarius New Orleans Christmas-17.jpg

And last but not least:

5. It’s easy to catch the spirit of the holidays! Most everything warrants a parade and hearty celebration in NOLA: Births, Weddings, and even funerals. But the holidays are the brightest and most festive time to be in The Big Easy. The celebrations begin in October during Halloween time and just keep growing until the biggest celebration of all: Mardi Gras! This was the first time I had ever visited NOLA in December and it was inspiring to see the heart of the city decked out in holiday cheer!

Autumn Aquarius New Orleans holidays-10.jpg
The squad setting up some lights.
Autumn Aquarius New Orleans holidays-26
Celebrate ALL the things.

Autumn Aquarius New Orleans Christmas-10

Autumn Aquarius New Orleans holidays-3.jpg

Autumn Aquarius New Orleans holidays-22.jpg

Autumn Aquarius New Orleans holidays-18.jpg

Autumn Aquarius New Orleans holidays-6

One of the most essential activities to enjoy in NOLA for the holidays is the Celebration in the Oaks: a dazzling display of lights among the famous oak trees of City Park.

Autumn Aquarius New Orleans Christmas-44.jpg

Autumn Aquarius New Orleans Christmas-31.jpg

Autumn Aquarius New Orleans Christmas-33.jpg

Autumn Aquarius New Orleans Christmas-42.jpg

Autumn Aquarius New Orleans Christmas-36

It’s always a good time to visit New Orleans, but if you are looking for a lagniappe of holiday cheer, December is a nice time to visit. A little tip: If you are going to book a hotel for your accommodations, be on the look out for Papa Noel rates!

I wish you all peace and much joy this holiday season! Spend it with people you love and make amazing memories!

Autumn Aquarius New Orleans Christmas-69.jpg

15 responses to “Catching the Holiday Spirit in New Orleans”

  1. thehomemakerslife Avatar

    Sounds like a unique place to spend the holidays!

    1. Glad you think so! It’s beautiful! Thanks for reading.

  2. Amazing pictures 🙂 Thanks for sharing 🙂

    1. Thank you so much! Thank you for reading 🙂

      1. We have a saying in Romania: What is beautiful God likes it too 🙂

      2. I like that! ❤️

  3. Well done, Jamie. Sign me up. 🙂 I’ve only been to New Orleans a few times, but I have loved every time… and have always been fascinated by the architecture.–Curt

    1. Thanks, Curt! It’s so beautifully fascinating there! I’m glad you have great memories of NOLA! Thanks for reading!

      1. I was there shortly after Katrina. The people of NOLA have shown great spirit and faith in rebuilding their beautiful city. I might add there is always a great contingent from NOLA at Burning Man every year. –Curt

      2. I agree! They really have! Their love for their city is apparent and contagious! Burning Man sounds interesting. I’ve never been!

      3. BTW, I have a whole series of blogs coming up on Burning Man in January, Jamie, from my trip there in August. –Curt

      4. Looking forward to them!

  4. Lovely post, the photos took a while to appear but I’m glad I waited

    1. Hi Caroline! Thank you! Thanks for letting me know about the photos too!

  5. […] 2.  Celebrating Tim’s big 30 and Holiday time in New Orleans! […]

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: